Published: February 8, 2012
As a project manager for an Interactive Marketing Agency, I am always looking for ways to make my job easier. In today’s cloud-based world, it seems like every day there are new tools available that make it easier, quicker and cheaper than their PC-based competitors. Here are 3 tools I use on a daily basis and why I think they are swell!
Skitch is a screenshot tool that allows you to capture, edit, and annotate images from anywhere on the web. Here’s what I like:
- Easily accessed from a browser plug-in
- Quick editing tools available within the Skitch pop-up editor
- Click & Drag to save or send, especially in Gmail or Google Docs
- Owned by and integrates easily with Evernote
- Mobile version that supports multiple devices
- And lastly…It’s FREE!
Smartsheet is a cloud-based light-to-medium project management tool that is like a spreadsheet on steroids. Here’s what I like:
- The user interface is intuitive and has adaptable templates
- Gantt Charting feature produces client-ready timelines
- Share projects with others online or export in a number of formats
- Can include line-item comments and attachments such as documents
- Integrates with Gmail, Google Docs, and Box.com
- Mobile versions for iPhone, Android and Blackberry
- Free 30 day trial!
Google Hangouts is the newest tool in our interactive toolbox. It is a video chat tool that is integrated with Google+ and is great for communicating with co-workers who work remotely or in a separate building or floor. Here’s what I like:
- Can see all your hangout buddies in preview thumbnails on the dashboard
- Main viewer automagically switches to the person who is talking
- Easily share and view screens with others in the hangout
- Share and watch YouTube videos and use Group Chat
- “Hangouts With Extras” integrates Google Docs and has shared notes/sketchpad