Published: May 18, 2016
In the last year alone, online advertising — in everything from social ads to promoted content — has changed tremendously. Algorithms have changed focus to deliver a better user experience; technologies like ad blocking are on the rise, and even consumers are more particular with the promotional content put before them.
As marketers, the challenges are clear:
- You need to make sure your content is remarkable and relevant so people want to engage.
- You need to understand the digital mediums your audience is using to connect with the right people, at the right time.
- And accomplish it all with either the same (if not fewer) resources, both time and money.
It’s a lot to keep up with. When it comes down to the actual results, it’s tougher than you think to develop a successful campaign. Not everyone can do it. We’re in it every day, keeping up with minute-by-minute changes to the perfect strategy. Take a look at the top ways we’ve discovered to amplify digital ad campaigns.
When it comes to strategy:
- Know your customers. Start with customer personas as identified by interviews with your current customers, surveys and industry analysis. Stand in their shoes. Then and only then, can you talk the talk that resonates with them. Next, create a customer journey. Customer Brand Experience Mapping helps inform an overarching customer experience strategy as it maps the end-to-end the customer journey, emotional journey and brand communication journey.
- Set attainable goals and objectives. What will prove success? Is it traffic to your website, brand visibility or conversions? Make sure everyone involved is on the same page up front when it comes to what will prove success.
When it comes to actual campaign management:
- Pay attention to date and time bid adjustments. When you set your ad budget, you can control when it is spent. Pulse your investment to have a higher ad spend during the times ads perform well. Scale back your investment during the times your audience isn’t active.
- Always test each element of creative for the highest click through rates. Though it may seem time consuming, A/B test each separate ad element for optimal performance. Test variations in text, then images, then targeting, and then time.
- Always test out the newest ad formats, especially because it’s new. When networks like Facebook roll out a new ad format (like canvas ads or lead ads), ensure you’re an early adopter. Facebook always favors those that use their newer features, plus you’ll have less competition in both reach and price.
- Contrary to popular belief, effective digital advertising isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon. You have to train every day, a.k.a. monitor your ads on a minute-by-minute basis for frequency and performance. And you have to be in it for the long haul.
When it comes to ongoing success:
- Start with personas but don’t stop there. Successful advertising requires constant listening. Listen to comments. Participate in their communities. Learn and adjust. Not only will this give you insight into remarkable content opportunities, it helps reinforce your targeting efforts.
Every day, things change. Algorithms change in constant quest to deliver a better user experience, technologies like ad blocking are on the rise and even consumers are more particular with the promotional content put before them. We stay on top of these changes, so you don’t have to.
Are you running at peak performance? Did we leave you with more questions than answers? Fill out our contact form and let’s chat!